Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Post #1: What to say?

In less than 24 hours I begin my 11 day visit to China. Our group of about 25 teachers will primarily be traveling to Beijing and Shanghai, with a brief trip to Wuxi. I'm incredibly fortunate to get this chance to see China up close and personal, though I find myself trying to answer a dozen different questions at the same time. What is China really like? How do the people there view the United States? How are the people changing as the country becomes more industrialized? Etc., etc., etc.

At the moment I think I'm most excited to start taking pictures! The one at the top of the blog is only temporary*, as I hope to have many more in a few days. Stay tuned for more observations, grand ideas, random thoughts and snapshots aplenty headed your way. Feel free to add your questions and insights in the comments!

 * = by Peter Morgan from Beijing, China (Flickr) [CC-BY-2.0 (www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

7 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous! I have a cousin that has lived in China for many years and a few friends that work in Shanghai -- I have always wanted to visit. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent. You should have an interesting experience. Whilst we dismantle our schools here, I'll bet good money the Chinese are not so stupid as we are..... Disheartening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you'll find many awkwardly translated signs in English to take pix of!

    Chinese lesson: mei you = we don't have any or none left (what we Western capitalist pigs were told in 1983 when we wanted to buy something in plain sight; oops, don't think China has a problem with capitalism these days)
    --Marcie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh! I am so excited for you! I can't wait to hear all about it! We missed you at the grant meeting this morning but no worries, we have all the details and can fill you in when you get back. Have fun and take a TON of pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very happy for you. I had the opportunity to visit China about 4 years ago but was not as fortunate as you. I am really proud to be your colleague and I look forward to seeing your wonderful pics. Watch out for the Pandas!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a great trip, Steve. I can't wait to see all the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to following your trip. Good advice to take pics of the poorly translated messages - wish I would have done that when I visited back in 2000 - for the UN Women's Conference - I know much has changed since then so I'm looking forward to your pictures. (A devoted fan of Teaching High School Psychology)

    ReplyDelete